[Slackbuilds-users] call for testing - mongodb

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Wed May 6 13:18:58 UTC 2015

On 04/14/2015 04:22 PM, Miguel De Anda wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i've modified the mongodb build script to actually build mongo from
> source instead of just repackaging the binaries. if i can get a couple
> of confirmed builds i'll submit the update.

Firstly, its great to see Miguel's effort to change a SlackBuild from
simply repackaging someone else's work to building it ourselves.
Repackaging always looks like we're not able to build it ourselves, or
couldn't be bothered ("slack" in the worst meaning of the word).

After the last lot of updates which included the new "build from source"
SlackBuild for mongodb, I ran the script but found that the contents of
the new package's /usr/bin directory contained only some of the binaries
that exist in the repackaged version i.e.
mongo
mongod
mongoperf
mongos
mongosniff

compared with:
mongostat
mongod
mongofiles
mongorestore
mongo
mongoperf
bsondump
mongooplog
mongos
mongodump
mongotop
mongoimport
mongoexport

After unsuccessfully trying various scons incantations in an attempt to
produce the missing binaries, I eventually read the documentation. It
seems, according to docs/building.md, that the "missing" pieces are now
kept separately at https://github.com/mongodb/mongo-tools

The question then is whether a separate mongo-tools SlackBuild should be
made for them or whether building them could be added into the existing
SlackBuild (since this is how the mongo people are preparing their own
release packages - the ones we used to repackage)?

chris