[Slackbuilds-users] QEMU

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun May 24 17:37:09 UTC 2015

On 05/23/2015 09:41 AM, John Yost wrote:

> I guess I am pretty old school.
> I am just now switching over to using VM's for Linux
> For all these years with Slackware (since about'98) I lived on
> separate partitions for build, current, rescue, and production. Of
> course this method requires a reboot to switch between worlds.

Same here: for ages I just had a number of partitions.  However, this
started to get tedious when I took on more SBo scripts.  A VM makes
testing new stuff in a "clean room" easier.  I used to use VirtualBox,
then Oracle grabbed them, so when QEMU was up for grabs I volunteered.

> So I am
> now experimenting with Qemu. From your replies it seems I will need to
> study the -drive switch and also look into 'copy on write'.
> My biggest problem so far is passing info back and forth. I have been
> using a usb stick but I see there are many other methods.
> John

I've attached my qemu script for slackware-current, etc. It will give
you some ideas.  The virtio subsystem is very high performance. The VMs
are isolated from my network. Also, once the VM is running, the host
directory mounts with this fstab entry:

data    /mnt/hd    9p    trans=virtio   0   0

A host share, as well as the backing image I use makes a clean reset easy!

Enjoy,
Ed