[Slackbuilds-users] FFmpeg update

Christoph Willing chris.willing at iinet.net.au
Tue May 26 07:24:44 UTC 2015

Hi Heinz,

Since you're updating the SlackBuild, I wonder if you would consider a
change to the way optional features are handled?

Unlike many other softwares, ffmpeg is quite good at detecting any
necessary support packages needed to enable the various features. It
assumes (and I believe this is a good assumption) that if all the
conditions for a particular feature are present on the build machine,
then that feature will be enabled unless it has been specifically
disabled in the ./configure ... line.

At the moment many features are disabled in the SlackBuild by lines like:
libfrei0r=""; [ "${FREI0R:-no}" != "no" ] && libfrei0r="--enable-frei0r"

Would you consider removing all those lines so that all available
features can be enabled rather than disabled? At the moment I have to
edit the SlackBuild quite a bit, or have a very long (error prone)
command line to re-enable all the features that should be included.

Those builders who don't want to include particular options, like freiOr
for instance, would most likely not have it installed anyway so ffmpeg's
own configuration system would not include it. In the more unlikely case
that the build machine has freiOr installed but for some reason not
wanted in the ffmpeg build, then that should be the time when the
builder adds a --disable-freiOr option themselves.

I hope its not too radical a change - apart from being more convenient
for me personally, I also think its more in line with the notion of
leaving software as much as possible as the developers intended it to be.

chris