[Slackbuilds-users] jack-audio-connection-kit vs jack2

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Thu May 28 04:56:55 UTC 2015

Fellow SBo maintainers:

I have noticed that one of my own scripts depends on JACK, and that I
myself had listed the dependency as "jack-audio-connection-kit".

Then I realised that this listing is not quite correct, because in fact
ANY package that depends upon "JACK" actually depends on EITHER JACK
version 1 or JACK version 2.

On SBo, we currently have JACK v1 as: jack-audio-connection-kit
and JACK v2 as: jack2

So my question for myself and others is:

Should we normalise how we list a JACK dependency? it is definitely
incorrect to list "jack-audio-connection-kit" as the only package that
will resolve a JACK dependency, because "jack2" will do just as well.

Two solutions I can think of are:

1. list both jack;audio-connection-kit and jack2 in the README file if
your package requires JACK

or...

2. re-structure the jack-audio-connection-kit and jack2 scripts such
that they become one and the same script, by which the user can choose
to build either jack1 or jack2, depending on their requirements. This
solution would obviously require agreement between the maintainers of
those scripts.

For more information on this issue, please see:
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_jack2

Cheers-

klaatu