[Slackbuilds-users] Optional dependencies in info file

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:13:06 UTC 2015

On 30/11/15 00:31, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 11/30/2015 09:11 AM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>> On 29/11/15 23:56, Christoph Willing wrote:
>>> The only work is adding the options you want but that is also the
>>> advantage - you have the options _you_ want rather some some arbitrary
>>> set of options the maintainer wants or believes end users will want.
>>
>> Actually, it's like that at the moment and it always will be like that.
>> I mean you will always have some choices that you can or not adjust to
>> your needs.
>>
>> The difference is that "optional options" are mentioned in README,
>> whereas "required options" are placed in info - you put the optional
>> deps in *.info, which gives the whole thing better structure.
>>
>> But it is always *YOU* who has to make the choice, the difference is how
>> the information about possible dependencies is given to you.
>
> We need to bear in mind the difference between options and dependencies.
> An added option may, or may not, entail an added build dependency i.e.
> any added ENVOPTS (or whatever) field _may_ need adjustment to the
> REQUIRED field too. In order to keep existing .info fields pristine, I
> use an additional PREREQS field to keep track of additional
> dependencies, leaving the REQUIRED field intact.

I think we understand each other, it's just wording that's awkward.

I would see it more less (without longer thinking) like that:
- additional file for optional dependencies, together with the
environment variable (if applicable),
- additional file for environment variables that do not require software
dependency.

That would require at least 2 things:
- forcing SlackBuild-s creators to use the particular structure - that's
not a problem, because SBo already has some requirements,
- making the website processing additional information to display it to
the user; it's important, because it would be error prone to expect the
SlackBuild creator to maintain README and additional meta-data files in
sync.

Still, is it worth? (Willy, I can here your voice behind my back:))

> chris

Pozdrawiam,
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski