[Slackbuilds-users] Optional dependencies in info file

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:39:32 UTC 2015

On 30/11/15 17:05, JK Wood wrote:

> [...]
>  >> No, IMHO.
>  >
>  >
>  > Well, I too think that it would be much work, it's probably not worth it.
>  >
>  > What is your opinion on the READMEs? For me it was the culprit, that
> made me propose what I've proposed. It's my personal opinion, but the
> READMEs are not well readable;)
>  >
>  > I would propose to allow markdown in READMEs, but still, the
> maintainers would have to use it in consistent way.
>  >
>  > I know one should read the READMEs thoroughly, but it's much easier
> to spot what's important, if it's *for example in bold*.
>  >
>  > Like any other well written software, SBo deserves good documentation:)
>  >
>  > I don't think we'll go much further with that for a moment;)
>  >
>  >
>  >>
>  >> I hope that this negative answer will not discourage you. We do need
> folks
>  >> to make proposals, be they accepted or not, so thanks for this one
> Andrzej.
>  >
>  >
>  > No worries:)
>  >
>  >
>  >>
>  >> Bien cordialement.
>  >> Best regards,
>  >> Pozdrawiam.
>  >
>  >
>  > Saludos cordiales:)
>  >
>  >
>  >>
>  >> Didier
>  >> SlackBuilds-users mailing list
>  >> SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> <mailto:SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
>  >> Archives - http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
>  >> FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > Pozdrawiam,
>  > Best regards,
>  > Andrzej Telszewski
>  > SlackBuilds-users mailing list
>  > SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> <mailto:SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>
>  > Archives - http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
>  > FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/
>  >

> READMEs are meant to be human readable, not to be machine readable.
> Further, we expect them to not only be human readable, but also to
> actually be read by humans. Markdown is fine for the web, but I read
> package READMEs in vim on the command line - markdown would make that

Agreed.

> We have few enough maintainers as it is. I provide my SlackBuilds free
> of charge, without compensation, and on my own time. My intention is to
> provide a good starting point from which to build and package a piece of
> software. Advanced usage is up to the end user, and the onus should not
> be on me to make it easier for some automated tool to facilitate that
> advanced usage. I have enough problems from the software I package alone
> without having more demands made on my time for very little benefit.

Like many of us.

> If you have an issue with a particular README from a particular
> SlackBuild, a more productive approach would be to email that maintainer
> rather than defaulting to suggesting there's a systemic problem with the
> way we do things on the public mailing list.

I report the problem or suggest features in the place where I think it's
appropriate and here we are. I don't think SBo list was a bad choice to
discuss my idea.

We were discussing here addition of a future and I think it's perfectly
fine place to do that. You on the other side seem to be telling me what
should I do, which I don't like. I don't think I have abused the public
mailing list.

> --JK

Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski