[Slackbuilds-users] Huge 4.4.x Kernel + SBo hwinfo = Kernel Oops on scsi_tape

Arkadiusz Drabczyk arkadiusz at drabczyk.org
Mon Aug 15 00:01:33 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 09:23:45AM -0500, Konrad J Hambrick wrote:
> All --
>
> I am running Slackware64 + Multilib with the Huge 4.4.17 Kernel from
> Slackware64 Current.
>
> I installed libx86emu-1.4 and hwinfo-20.1 from the 14.2 SBo Repository and
> tried out hwinfo.
>
> When hwinfo tries to load the "st" module, I get the attached Kernel Oops.
>
> I checked the hwinfo man page and I don't see where I can blacklist or exclude
> modules from hwinfo but it may be I simply don't understand what I am reading.
>
> But IMO, a userland program shouldn't cause a Kernel Oops :)
>
> I also tried Kernels Huge 4.4.15 ( from Current ) and Huge 4.4.14 ( from 14.2 )
> and I still see the same Oops in /var/log/syslog.
>
> I am not sure where to report this and I don't know whether it's a Kernel Bug
> or a bug in hwinfo or if it's because I am running the huge kernel, but I did
> find a 'work-around':  Don't invoke load_module(hd_data, "st") in src/hd/
> block.c
>
> Attached is a patch for hwinfo.SlackBuild and an ugly patch for src/hd/block.c
>
> Maybe Y'All know the REAL cause of the bug ?
>
> Thanks for all the good work you're doing for Slackware !

(I also sent this message via gmane.org a couple of hours ago but it
didn't make it to the list so I'm sending again directly to the list)

I don't think it's a bug.  I think that as you use `huge' kernel the
module that hwinfo is trying to load is already statically built into
the kernel, this is why you get this:

sysfs: cannot create duplicate filename '/class/scsi_tape'sysfs: cannot create duplicate filename '/class/scsi_tape'

Do you already have /sys/class/scsi_tape right after booting?

See a similar problem here:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/please-explain-kobject_add-failed-578488/

--
Arkadiusz Drabczyk <arkadiusz at drabczyk.org>