[Slackbuilds-users] Huge 4.4.x Kernel + SBo hwinfo = Kernel Oops on scsi_tape

Konrad J Hambrick kjhambrick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:20:22 UTC 2016

Thanks for the reply Andrzej Telszewski

See my reply to Arkadiusz Drabczyk, especially the part about blacklisting
the "st" module in /etc/modprobe.d and changing the call in hwinfo.

What I am considering does work from the command line ( man modprobe and
look for the -b flag ).

I created a file: /etc/modprobe.d/disable_scsi_tape.conf with a single line:

blacklist st

If I simply run:  `/sbin/modprobe st` I get the Bug dump in /var/log/syslog
( and dmesg ).

On the other hand, after installing /etc/modprobe.d/disable_scsi_tape.conf
if I run `/sbin/modprobe -b st` there is no output.

I believe the change to block.c that I suggested in my other reply will
'fix' hwinfo

However, since none of the other compiled-in modules in the Huge Kernel
result in a Bug Dump, I now believe this is a bug in the st.c kernel code.

Thanks again !

-- kjh