[Slackbuilds-users] libev source downloaded by web browser cannot be extracted by tar

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Mon Feb 29 20:11:02 UTC 2016

On 29/02/2016 20:57, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
> $ md5sum libev-4.15.tar.gz_seamonkey
> bd3fe50a18a86f977f91cfc46783f52d  libev-4.15.tar.gz_seamonkey
>
> $ md5sum libev-4.15.tar.gz_wget
> 3a73f247e790e2590c01f3492136ed31  libev-4.15.tar.gz_wget
>
> $ tar -xf libev-4.15.tar.gz_seamonkey
> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
>
> $ bsdtar -xf libev-4.15.tar.gz_seamonkey
>
> $ tar -xf libev-4.15.tar.gz_wget
>
> $ bsdtar -xf libev-4.15.tar.gz_wget
>

> Probably not the concern of SBo, but if the source of libev is
> downloaded using web browser, e.g. SeaMonkey, it cannot be extracted
> using tar.
>
> As can be seen from the commands output above:
> - MD5 sums are different, depending if the source was downloaded using
> web browser or wget,
> - tar is not able to extract the source downloaded using SeaMonkey, but
> is able to extract source downloaded by wget,
> - bsdtar can extract source downloaded using SeaMonkey and wget.
>
> If using links, the MD5 is the same as for wget.
>
> The moral is, don't use GUI tools ;)

You are not alone.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/%5Bannounce%5D-eudev-for-slackware-14-1-is-available-for-testing-purposes-4175505218/page2.html#post5174868
The browser's behavior can probably be corrected using proper settings
in about:config or something, but I agree: it's often safer to use
command line tools.

Didier