[Slackbuilds-users] Call for Bug Fixes, Patches, etc

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Sun Mar 13 01:11:12 UTC 2016

>> Are you opposed to this solution?
>>
>> find -L . \
>>  \( -perm 777 -o -perm 775 -o -perm 750 -o -perm 711 -o -perm 555 \
>>   -o -perm 511 \) -print0 | \
>>   xargs -0 chmod 755
>> find -L . \
>>  \( -perm 666 -o -perm 664 -o -perm 640 -o -perm 600 -o -perm 444 \
>>   -o -perm 440 -o -perm 400 \) -print0 | \
>>   xargs -0 chmod 644
>>
>> It was proposed by B. Watson here:
>>
>> https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2015-November/015210.html
>>
>> It seems to work the same as the current template, but is just less
>> resource intensive ... but I don't know for sure.
>
> I honestly thought we had agreed to make this change, that another
> admin (rworkman?) agreed too. I read through that thread just now and I
> don't see it.. so maybe it happened on IRC, or not at all.
>
> Maybe another admin, rworkman or willysr, could put forward their
> thoughts on this change. I don't immediately see any problems with it,
> except possibly the amount of arguments chmod can take? (which may
> actually be a bash limitation) I suppose we know the answer to that
> since all 18k+ files from the mame source worked fine? If that seems to
> be the truth, as in all of those files got hit, and not say 100 or 1000
> or whatever the command line limit might be, then I'm in favor of this
> change. I'm not really in a position to run some tests to find out,
> though.
>
> If any of that sounds confusing, what I'm imagining is passing 18k+
> file names to chmod, and I seem to remember that type of thing being an
> issue in the past. I apologize in advance if that isn't true or I'm
> being ignorant on exactly what's happening in the above code.

I have no objection at all if it's proven to work faster and same
results as the current find code.

rworkman already mentioned on another thread that he doesn't oppose to
this idea, but let me quote his reply on this :

"I didn't see any opposition to this, and I don't have any, so if you
want to make a user branch within the template repo and ping me
about it, I'll be more than happy to merge it for 14.2.

Once that's done, and once the current-wip branch gets merged to
master (after 14.2 beta/rc announcement) and we get moving a bit
heavier there, if you'd like to work up a branch to make the
changes in there, we'll definitely consider it.

It will probably be worth touching base with us first on that one,
because you'll want to minimize the merge conflicts that we are
creating while you're doing the changes there"

the current condition is now current-wip branch is merged to master,
Beta 2 has been announced, but no one is up for the move.

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo