[Slackbuilds-users] Call for Bug Fixes, Patches, etc

Erik Hanson erik at slackbuilds.org
Sun Mar 13 16:03:13 UTC 2016

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:28:36 +0100
Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/03/16 16:23, Erik Hanson wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 15:34:25 +0100
> > Johannes Schöpfer <johannes at schoepfer.info> wrote:
> >
> >> It would be helpful If someone could name a single reallife
> >> example, where the chmod approach fails.
> >
> > It changes permissions of 700 to 755, which is something the 'find'
> > lines don't do. The merits and circumstances behind this, or my
> > choice of 700 as an example, do not matter and do not deserve
> > debate. The fact is, it is undesired behavior.
> >

> I'd say it shouldn't be a problem if we change all the permissions to
> 755/644.

We shouldn't assume to know why developers do what they do, and they
may have some very specific reasons behind shipping some files with
certain permissions.

> It should be the job of _make install_ (or whatever else) to ensure
> the correct permissions of sensitive files.
>
> Or am I wrong? ;)

They may be build time requirements, we don't know. In any case, make
install wouldn't be aware that those permissions had been changed,
potentially resulting in a broken package.

--
Erik