[Slackbuilds-users] Call for Bug Fixes, Patches, etc

Kyle Guinn elyk03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:15:56 UTC 2016

On 3/14/16, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:
> Let me add: only make a change if there is a proven advantage, like
> _ old way failing (provide example), where the new one does not

I occasionally come across source tarballs where every file
unintentionally has the sticky bit set.  (I don't have a clue how this
happens.)  The find command doesn't correct this.  Combine that with a
badly handwritten makefile or a binary repackaging and you can easily
end up with those sticky bits in the resulting package.

> _ new way *significantly* faster (a few less seconds when the end user
>   builds the package is not significant as I see it)

I remember the find command taking about 4 minutes on the kernel
source, a minute or two on some larger packages like Octave.  chmod -R
is instant.

> _ guarantee that the new formula neither fails nor introduce unexpected
>   side

mkdir tmp
cd tmp
for i in {0..7}{0..7}{0..7}{0..7}; do touch $i; chmod $i $i; done
$YOUR_CHMOD_COMMAND_HERE
find . -exec stat --printf "%n %A\n" {} + | sort > manifest

Compare manifests over different runs to see how the permissions are affected.

-Kyle