[Slackbuilds-users] Wrong permissions after installation, broken download link

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sat May 14 11:13:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

The other day I was playing with some icon themes available at SBo.
Among the other I tried
https://slackbuilds.org/cgit/slackbuilds/tree/desktop/faba-mono-icons
But it turned out that the download link at SBo
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/moka-project/faba-mono-icons/master/faba-mono-icons-4.2.tar.gz)
is broken.
So I downloaded the source from
http://slackware.uk/sbosrcarch/by-name/desktop/faba-mono-icons/faba-mono-icons-4.2.tar.gz
After the installation, it turned out that the file permissions are wrong.

It makes sense, since faba-mono-icons.SlackBuild does not do _chmod_ at
all and that is what you get when the source is extracted:

$ umask 022
$ tar -xf faba-mono-icons-4.2.tar.gz
$ cd faba-mono-icons-4.2
$ ls -l
total 52
-rw------- 1 antezu users   666 Feb 13  2015 AUTHORS
drwx------ 6 antezu users  4096 Feb 13  2015 Faba-Mono/
drwx------ 6 antezu users  4096 Feb 13  2015 Faba-Mono-Dark/
-rw------- 1 antezu users   371 Feb 13  2015 INSTALL
-rw------- 1 antezu users 35148 Feb 13  2015 LICENSE

It looks like in that case even our standard _find_ wouldn't do the job,
since the directories have "this" special permissions.
I might be wrong though, and I don't have enough power to analyze ;).

Doing the (very) naive:
$ grep -L ^find */*/*.SlackBuild

reveals around 150 SlackBuilds that do not use find to set permissions.
And it's probably correct in most of the cases.

But more alarming might be the following fact:

$ grep -L ^find */*/*.SlackBuild | grep "icon-theme\|icons"
desktop/awoken-icon-theme/awoken-icon-theme.SlackBuild
desktop/faba-icon-theme/faba-icon-theme.SlackBuild
desktop/faba-mono-icons/faba-mono-icons.SlackBuild
desktop/moka-icon-theme/moka-icon-theme.SlackBuild
desktop/numix-icon-theme-bevel/numix-icon-theme-bevel.SlackBuild
desktop/numix-icon-theme-circle/numix-icon-theme-circle.SlackBuild
desktop/numix-icon-theme/numix-icon-theme.SlackBuild

and it looks like in some cases we depend solely on the permissions
provided by the tarball packager.
Which might not work out well in every case.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski