[Slackbuilds-users] Meaning of PKGARCH=$(uname -m)_custom in ffmpeg.SlackBuild

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:04:46 UTC 2016

On 21/05/16 16:53, Erik Hanson wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2016 12:18:53 +0200
> Andrzej Telszewski <atelszewski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ffmpeg.SlackBuild sets the package arch to $(uname -m)_custom
>> Why is that?
>>
>> This is somehow in reference to my previous question:
>> https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2016-March/015772.html
>>
>> So, can the ffmpeg package built on one machine be safely used on
>> another machine?
>
> The result is a non-portable package. It's optimized for the CPU it's
> been compiled with. If you're working in an environment that consists
> of modern hardware, it's probably not too relevant. Consider it a
> warning that using a newer/faster machine to build the package and then
> installing it on an older/slower machine might mean the binary won't run
> as expected.

Thanks. I haven't researched the topic yet and I'm just going to ask
here, but feel free not to answer, since the question probably does not
belong here:

Is it possible to have ffmpeg being built as any other Slackware package is?

That is, say I build for x86_64 and it will run without any further
concern on any x86_64, just like x86_64 Slackware packages do?

> For your previous question, "non-redistributable binary", that's
> different and it was answered here:
> https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2016-March/015773.html

Yes, I understand. I just wanted to make sure.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski