[Slackbuilds-users] question about stable vs. current

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Mon May 30 01:12:24 UTC 2016

> I used to think that SBo packages were only guaranteed to run on stable,
> and that was it ... but it's seemed more complicated than that for some
> time, and I'm afraid I have done a terrible job of keeping up with it.
>
> I want to do the best job I can with these packages, but I am unclear what
> is expected surrounding a release. Could someone let me know?

SBo is actually designed just as you described, guaranteed to run on
stable and it's still valid point.

The reason we started tracking current for this cycle is because were
very late in the previous (14.1) cycle, causing the repository to be
stalled for more than 3 months (CMIIW) until it's considered ready for
public.

With Slackware's 14.2 development that was considered big enough, Ponce
and David had already started in Ponce's personal repository in github
and then Robby decided to start preparing for 14.2 repository in around
January. We hoped that when 14.2 gets released, our repository is ready
and can be opened for public as soon as possible.

There's no need to rush things for maintainers. They are free to wait
until 14.2 gets released and test their packages OR they can start
testing it early by using current.

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo