[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:38:38 UTC 2016

> [opt] libass, [env] ASS=yes|no [/opt], for ASS support,
> [opt] libbluray, [env] BLURAY=yes|no [/opt], for BLURAY support,
> [opt] libiec61883, libavc1394, [env] IEC61883=yes|no [/opt], for IEC61883

* No parser exists for this language that you have just invented. Some
poor fool would have to write that. And it's one of the context
senstive languages (like HTML) that can't be parsed with regular
expressions -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chomsky_hierarchy

* It's too complicated for newbies.

* It's going to look ugly in the README, and that really does matter.

* It's incomplete: there are packages with option formats that this
language can't describe. Look at grass. Yet again, I repeat: don't
propose a solution until you have checked whether it works in the real
world. You're only ever looking at ffmpeg :(

-D.