[Slackbuilds-users] OPTIONAL field [was: qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir]

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 12:13:33 UTC 2016

On 07/11/16 12:50, Thomas Szteliga wrote:
> On 11/07/2016 12:14 PM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>> I haven't slept too long and came up with the following idea
>> (this assumes that we do *somehow* agree on some tags in README):
>> The following optional, not auto-detected packages enable additional
>> features (you need to install the package and set environment variable):
>> [opt] libass, [env] ASS=yes|no [/opt], for ASS support,
>> [opt] libbluray, [env] BLURAY=yes|no [/opt], for BLURAY support,
>> [opt] libiec61883, libavc1394, [env] IEC61883=yes|no [/opt], for
>> IEC61883 support,
>

> IMVHO that's way too complicated.

Let's improve and simplify! :-)

> My suggestion:
>
> OPTIONAL=libass,libbluray,libiec61883,libavc1394

This might be error prone, i.e. it might differ from README.
And requires changes to .info, whereas what I suggested, does not.

Also, as it was mentioned before, it would mentally force admins to
check it. We don't want to force admins to do anything :-)

> Slackbuilds could simply enable/disable optional deps
> by checking if the defined package is available in /var/log/packages.

I don't think it's gonna happen.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski