[Slackbuilds-users] qemu/spice-gtk and usbredir

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 01:08:56 UTC 2016

On 10/22/2016 04:56 PM, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 23/10/16 09:26, Thomas Szteliga wrote:
>> On 10/22/2016 07:28 PM, Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>>> Something that is not required, shouldn't be flagged as required as long
>>> as it makes sense.
>>> But your proposal to forcibly disable building against usbredir is
>>> viable.
>>> If it solves your problem, then ask the maintainer to add it.
>>> You can never have too few options ;-)
>>

>> OK, before I ask I wanted to discuss this. And yes, You're right:
>>
>>  "Something that is not required, shouldn't be flagged as required"
>
> The trouble is that some peoples' REQUIRED is/are other peoples' OPTIONAL.
>

>> so maybe it's time to rethink the way OPTIONAL dependencies are
>> announced? The README is OK, but it requires with every new release
>> to re-read all READMEs and check, if any optional deps were added.
>> It would be much easier to have an "OPTIONAL" tag in addition
>> to "REQUIRES" in the *.nfo files. Don't you think?
>>
> Who is going to decide REQUIRED vs OPTIONAL for the many (I suspect) non
> obvious cases? Presumably the maintainer. If a maintainer's balance of
> REQUIRED/OPTIONAL deps doesn't suit someone else's particular
> needs/wants, then the builder will have to change their personal .info
> files anyway (or complain to the maintainer).
>
> chris

Chris, thank you for your explanation.

To all others: there are just too many use cases to make everyone happy.
 Some of you will just have to do some real work on your own.

For example, MOST of the slackbuilds I pull from SBo for my use are
customized.  Perhaps I need a non-default function, or to drop a
function/dependency I can live without.  I'm not going force the
maintainers toward my use case.

My LQ HOW-TO for Boinc-7.6.33 is a good example of this.  Does anyone
REALLY want wxGTK3 to have a hard requirement for webkitgtk?

-Ed