[Slackbuilds-users] Perl modules orphaned between 14.1 and 14.2

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 23:01:51 UTC 2016

On 10/31/16, Eduardo Sanchez <sombragris at sombragris.org> wrote:

> The issue is that there's no mention at all in the ChangeLog:
>
> https://slackbuilds.org/ChangeLog.txt

You make a good point. That ChangeLog only goes back to July 2, 2016,
which is when Slack 14.2 was released. The removed packages were removed
before that (mid-January 2016).

> There is no metion of any git log on any part of the SlackBuild website.
>
> Any user looking to maintain its system would be at a loss.

Also good points.

In theory, every user reads every line of Slackware's ChangeLog, so they'd
know that package XYZ got added to Slackware & therefore won't be on SBo
any more. But that's like saying every user has the time/energy/skill
to read the source code of all open source software they use (just plain
not true).

Also for these particular packages, they aren't mentioned in the Slack
ChangeLog (they became part of the perl package, but none of the perl-*
entries mention the modules by name).

> The question is: where should I follow the SlackBuilds.org changes: at
> the ChangeLog which is published and advertised at the website, or at
> some git log whose mention is nowhere on the SlackBuilds.org page?

I can't answer that (I speak only for myself, not the SBo team).
However...

The git log is actually there on the site, just not obvious. At
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/ there are links at the bottom:

Access to the repository is available via: ftp git cgit http rsync

The git log can be found in your browser by clicking on the cgit
link... or by using git to clone the URL in the git link. But the site
documentation (FAQ and HOWTO) don't mention this. And, if a user's not
familiar with git and/or cgit, he might have a hard time finding what
he's looking for.

For your missing packages, you could enter the package name in the search
box on the main cgit page... if that helps any in the future. It'd be
nice to add this info to the FAQ.