[Slackbuilds-users] fmodapi access upstream

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:14:13 UTC 2016

On 9/5/16, Doogster <thedoogster at gmail.com> wrote:

> What the Brutal DOOM documentation says about this is: "If you are
> hearing a lot of sounds from unknown sources from large distances,
> such as blood driping from hanged bodies and burning barrels making
> cracking fire noises across the map, you need to reinstall your
> sourceport."

Interesting... I only ever play regular Doom II (with random maps made by
oblige) and I never notice this behaviour. But, I'm not using headphones,
and my speakers tend to be turned down pretty low.

> I suspect that the fix would actually need to be in gzdoom, not Brutal
> DOOM.

Well, if it's a thing that only happens in Brutal Doom, not in plain
Doom/DoomII or other mods...

Weird that it's using fmodapi for digital audio. I would have thought
fmod would only be for background music, and that the actual game sounds
would be played by the game engine (using OpenAL or just SDL audio).