[Slackbuilds-users] Being upstream and maintainer

Daniel Prosser dpross1100 at msn.com
Thu Sep 8 23:03:37 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Recently I have switched to Awesome WM. I was looking for a tool to create an
application menu and came across awemenugen. However, I found it didn't work
so well (doesn't support icons, doesn't ignore .desktop files with
NoDisplay=true, creates empty categories, not to mention that you need jdk to
run it), so I wrote a similar tool in python addressing these issues:

https://github.com/montagdude/awesome-appmenu

I have a SlackBuild ready to go, but I wanted to ask if it's okay to be both
"upstream" and maintainer. I can guess that there are some reasons this would
be encouraged, but I don't want to give the appearance I am using SBo to push
my own stuff.

Dan Prosser