[Slackbuilds-users] Beignet package

414N 414N at slacky.it
Mon Apr 17 16:29:32 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I’m currently working on a beignet SlackBuild for SBo and I have some
trouble in sorting out how to best manage the package installation.
For the ones who don’t know, beignet <https://01.org/beignet> is Intel’s
own OpenCL implementation for its graphics and CPU hardware. To properly
make use of any OpenCL implementation, one needs:

  * an OpenCL ICD loader (|libOpenCL.so|), the entry library that other
    software links-to or dynamically loads at runtime
  * at least one ICD vendor file(s), to make the relevant OpenCL
    implementation installed available to other software through the loader

For systems running solely on Intel CPU/GPU hardware with no other
discrete GPU components (namely, Nvidia/AMD), the installation of the
beignet package would bring:

  * the Intel OpenCL implementation + ICD vendor files
  * OpenCL headers

The system would still lack the entry point library / ICD loader, but
this could be managed by means of the ocl-icd
<https://forge.imag.fr/projects/ocl-icd/> package (in the making
alongside beignet).
If one has at least another discrete OpenCL-enabled GPU installed on his
system (read, an Nvidia and/or an AMD card), then the scenario becomes a
little more complicated:

  * the OpenCL loader is probably provided by the Nvidia/AMD driver
  * the OpenCL headers, if any, could be already installed by the
    Nvidia/AMD driver package or, hypothetically, provided by a vendor
    agnostic package (like the opencl-headers package already on SBo
    <https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/development/opencl-headers/>)

All these different requirements/scenario would mean, to me, that the
beignet package should:

  * build with/without OpenCL headers
  * only suggest the use of the ocl-icd package, as the ICD loader could
    already be available on the system

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me insights or thoughts
about this case, especially if I missed something.
Thanks

​
--

Alan Alberghini