[Slackbuilds-users] feature request!

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 15 09:32:16 UTC 2017

On 8/14/17, Fernando Lopez <fernando.lopezjr at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be cool if you can search by email and/or name in the website.
> maybe an advance search page?

Here's what I do:

Of course I edited that in a very dishonest way, what B Watson really wrote was:

> It's possible to grep the .info files in a git clone of course. Still
> be a nice feature for the site.

but that would make work for somebody ;)

On 15 August 2017 at 01:46, B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> wrote:
> Something I've long wished for: dependency search. Enter a build name,
> get back a list of builds that depend on it. *Very* useful if you're
> a maintainer and you're about to update a library to a new version,
> you can get a list of stuff that needs testing to make sure you're not
> about to break it.

There's Chris Willing's hoorex
https://github.com/cwilling/hoorex
although it can't catch optional deps (to do that, you need to grep README too)

> As it stands now, some maintainers don't seem to test
> anyone elses' builds when they update their deps. It'd be nice to make
> this simple enough that everyone will do it.

It would be good (IMO) to have this done automatically with a
continuous integration tool.

> To be clear: I don't mean that if you update a library, you have any
> kind of obligation to fix someone elses' scripts that depend on it. But
> a friendly "I'm about to submit an update to libfoobar, which breaks
> your baz build, you might want to look into it" would not go amiss.

It's usually better if people discuss this before committing an
update. Not updating is sometimes a good choice ;-)

Thanks
-D.