[Slackbuilds-users] pyPdf SlackBuild or can't upgrade sofastats

414N 414N at slacky.it
Sun Aug 27 08:01:01 UTC 2017

Hello Duncan,
thanks for your reply and sorry for the HTML-only message, I’ll make
sure to send plaintext versions too. ;-)
While the suggestion of mentioning the usage of |pip2tgz| to obtain
pyPdf in the README of sofastats can indeed work as a quite good
workaround to the issue at hand, I think there are some drawbacks to it:

  * people who use automated tools to install packages (i.e. |sbopkg|)
    will build a package that won’t work at runtime, even if all the
    other hard-dependencies specified in the |REQUIRES| line are installed
  * dependencies specified in the README should only be optional or
    recommended ones, not mandatory ones (at least, this is what I
    grasped here on SBo)

I guess the second one clashes with the guidelines here on SBo, but I
don’t know for sure.
If someone knows better, please correct me if I’m wrong

Cheers

​

Alan Alberghini

SBo clone: GitHub <https://github.com/414n/slackbuilds.org>