[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170204.1

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 19:59:49 UTC 2017

On 02/03/2017 11:06 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 04/02/2017 � 01:26, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo a �crit :
>> - libreoffice 5.3.0 for binary repackaging and 5.2.5 for source compilation
>> - letsencrypt warning should now be gone, after pyOpenSSL bump thanks to
>> Kikinovak's investigation.
>
> Kiki Novak has another suggestion to add for LibreOffice. In my
> experience, users of LibreOffice want a *stable* application, not the
> latest and greatest riddled with bugs.
>
> I'd do the opposite: provide 5.3.0 for the adventurous folks who compile
> it, and stick with the hassle-free repackaged 5.2.5 for mere users.

'Kiki' and others raise a few good points. Here are my 2 cents:

Given Slackware's goal for, and, yes, reputation as, a stable, solid
Linux distribution, then SBo should have that goal as well.  There will
always be those who dabble in -current and so treat Slackware as a
"rolling release."  That's fine.  However, I think most of us rather
prefer stability over wiz-bang newness.

My preference, as a maintainer, is that SBo does not succumb to "version
creep" and sticks with STABLE packages that are as bug free as possible
given the nature of F/OSS. Since I use most of the packages I maintain,
I do not need the hassle of constantly upgrading and troubleshooting
some weird lib breakage.  Bluntly: I've got shit to do. (This list had a
discussion previously about how some maintainers are a bit "slow" to
update so we do not need to re-hash that here.)  My preference is to
only upgrade to fix bugs or add vital functionality.

In the case of LO, it may be a good idea to read AleinBOB's recent blog
entry

A solution to "newness" may be to have a branch of SBo-current that
tracks Slackware-current.  That way SBo-stable can be kept free of
multiple versions of newer packages until we can work out the bugs and
patches.

Ok, I've ranted enough.  Too much time one my hands lately..
-Ed.