[Slackbuilds-users] [OT] xpdf and okular (was: acroread for 64-bit machines?)

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:30:26 UTC 2017

On 02/14/2017 08:13 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   My use of Adobe's acrobat reader is infrequent, but good for
> presentations
> showing beamer-class slides. There was no problem that I recall using it
> with 14.1, but I'm having issues trying to get a version that works with
> 14.2.
>
>   I have a presentation tomorrow and neither xpdf nor mupdf will display
> the
> LaTeX/beamer slides full screen. The windows are full screen, but not the
> PDF file.

You already marked as "resolved" but here is another tip.  Besides the
CLI -fullscreen options, in xpdf if you <right>-<click> on the open,
displayed file, the pop-up menu has a "fullscreen" option.

Also, I prefer okular these days.  It integrates much better with modern
WMs, has better font support, form entry, search/find. Summary:
    Various document formats, including:
       PDFs, EPUB ebooks, CBR and CBZ comic books, DjVu, images
    Annotate and mark up PDF files with comments, highlights, etc.
    Extract text from a PDF to a text file
    Set bookmarks for later viewing
    Trim white page borders
    etc

Okular also does quite well with odd pdfs that I sometimes get from my
employer.

The only downside is some KDE baggage. Since a full stock Slackware
install is only about 8GB or so, I'm not too worried about using too
much space.

-Ed