[Slackbuilds-users] vsxu: strange symlinks

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:09:25 UTC 2017

On 02/14/2017 11:40 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed vsxu, mostly as a dependency for VLC.
>
> I've noticed something strange. There are some strange symlinks in the
> users' home directories. User kikinovak has a vsxu symlink to
> /home/kikinovak/.local/share/vsxu/, and even root has a (broken)
> /root/vsxu symlink to a nonexistent /root/vsxu/local/share/vsxu.

---
Sounds like a change in where they stick local configuration.  Of
course, this isn't mention in the github changelog, the dummies.

http://www.vsxu.com/documentation/changelog
Change Log
0.3.0.4 (April 2012)
-------------------
+ For GNU/Linux version, we now use ~/.local/share/vsxu INSTEAD of
~/.vsxu Since you might want to look this over (and your backup
scripts!) we think you should do the migration yourself, thus we didn't
add an automatic script to copy the old files into this new location.
The reason for this move is to better comply with standards.

+ For GNU/Linux version, we now create a symbolic link in your home
directory - "vsxu" which points to ~/.local/share/vsxu for your convenience

Your google-fu is weak, young one.

-Ed