[Slackbuilds-users] github wget source file ERROR 404: Not Found.

Ryan S. Northrup northrup at yellowapple.us
Sun Feb 26 22:30:40 UTC 2017

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:48:58 -0800
King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I click on the link in Firefox, github does stupid script magic to
> save as "xarchiver-0.5.4.7.tar.gz" even though hovering over the link
> shows "0.5.4.7.tar.gz" which may also have implication with the d/l
> link of the SBo page.
>
> Thus, this breaks a bunch of SBo related scripts that depend on wget
> to grab the link from *.info in the correct format - unless you
> remember to append "-O <filename>-<tag>.tar.gz" or the scripts will
> have to use
>
> curl -L https://github.com/ib/xarchiver/archive/0.5.4.8.tar.gz >
> xarchiver-0.5.4.8.tar.gz
>
> -Ed

Or the *.info file (and SlackBuild) can use the GitHub-provided
version-only name, which is what I personally do in, e.g.,
elixir.SlackBuild.  The resulting folder after extracting the tarball
ends up with a more "correct" name, so the only thing really affected
is the name of the source archive, and the rest of the SlackBuild can
proceed as if nothing was different.

I've tested this to work at the very least with sbopkg.  Not sure about
other SBo-wrapping scripts.

--
Ryan S. Northrup
northrup at yellowapple.us