[Slackbuilds-users] openjdk was: Re: Updates - 20170225.1

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 27 10:53:28 UTC 2017

On 27/02/2017 09:17, B Watson wrote:
> On 2/27/17, Tim Dickson <dickson.tim at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> without java support macro's (and accessibility functions) don't work,
>> as macros are based on the java types exposed to libre basic/python etc.
> Hm. In the Windows/Office world, what percentage of Office users actually
> write macros? Or would even be capable of learning to write them, if
> someone tried to teach them?
I must confess I have a vested interest, as I wrote a (cross platform)
job control system in libreoffice calc, which depends on macros in order
to work.
> Accessibility... if you need it, you need it. Again, I bet the vast
> majority of users could do without.
>
> Maybe it's not completely unreasonable to allow building without java
> (and make it easy for people to build with java, if they want/need it).
sounds like that would please all camps (apart from the automatic tools
that don't know what is required)
if the readme clearly states what is supported with the options.
  It may even improve starting speeds when compiled without the java
support.