[Slackbuilds-users] Nvidia updates 375.26 commentary

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:48:55 UTC 2017

I've refactored the nvidia-drive script to use nvidia-installer instead
of sifting through all the libs and symlinks manually. This was getting
unwieldy and error-prone. The script should now be able to be updated by
just changing $VERSION. Also, GLVND and vulkan support is now possible.

As a result of these changes, nvidia-switch is gone for now. See README
to restore mesa and xorg F/OSS functionality.

Issues and help request:
1. nvidia-installer peforms a backup of mesa and xorg files but mangles
them into a weird directory tree. Is there a way to get the installer to
leave them alone for an out-of-tree install to $PKG? The
nvidia-installer backups and log are archived here:
/var/lib/nvidia-archive-2017-01-02.bz2
/var/log/nvidia-installer-2017-01-02.log
after the script runs.

2. libwfb.so does not seem to get backed up (see error below)? I've
kludged a stanza to restore libwfb after nvidia-installer's mangling but
its ugly.  The nvidia version give the error below which I can't figure
out to fix properly.

(II) Loading sub module "wfb"
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
[(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libwfb.so:
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libwfb.so: undefined symbol:
PictureScreenPrivateIndex
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) Unloading wfb
(EE) Failed to load module "wfb" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Need libwfb but wfbScreenInit not found

3. COMPAT32 feedback is appreciated.  So far it looks ok (Steam and WINE).

4. I am currently unable to fully test on Slackware 32-bit.

As always, let me know if you spot anything weird.
-Ed