[Slackbuilds-users] Package versions

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:58:57 UTC 2017

On 19/01/17 19:45, David Spencer wrote:
> As a radical idea, we could consider making some packages
> auto-updating. I suspect lots of perl, python, haskell and ruby could
> be completely automated. I bet everybody hates this idea :p

You bet ;-)

> On the other hand, George from Salix made a very good point when he
> recently wrote "SBo has a policy of constantly updating its contents
> with new versions, which in my opinion is competely against
> Slackware's policy (as well as our own) for stability". I do have a
> lot of respect for that point of view.  I think the main reasons
> against it are social not technical (too much work at one time for new
> releases, need to keep maintainers involved). Having said that, for
> technical reasons quite a lot of packages do need to be quite stable
> between releases (haskell, ffmpeg and more -- everybody on the list
> could probably name them).

I don't exactly agree.
There are multiple situations where updating the package makes a lot of
sense.
Be it security, or new features that save your time.

On the other side, how often do we see a breakage here?

As you said, there are packages that won't see an update without very
good reason.
I think the crew is doing very well on that matter.

When it comes to Slackware, well, it's the core of everything.
The less updates it sees, the better.
I guess we are all happy for Pat's policy.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski