[Slackbuilds-users] Package versions

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 09:23:23 UTC 2017

On 21/01/17 08:21, Harald Achitz wrote:
> Hi,
> help is difficult,
> the SBo rules are clear,
> If you sent an updated version of a package, you need the OK of the
> maintainer.
> If you contact a maintainer, and there is no response, what than?
>
> This is a barrier, unnecessary.
> Git stable & testing, branch.
> pull requests to testing,
> when some have reviewed && tested a package in testing, it goes to stable.
> all this public.
> you will see, this is much more productive and delivers better results.
>
> I try to help, e.g. I would have submitted an update for Qt, but without
> maintainer permission....
>
> The bureaucracy of SBo was long, and still is, an impediment for me.
> We should be aware of that.
> It is more easy for me to contribute to any opensouce project on github
> (I do this) than to SBo.
> Why? is this adequate for 2017?
>
> I do not want to criticize, I want to offer help, by questioning the
> project structure and suggest alternatives, I think I do this.
>
> /Harald

I think you hugely exaggerating.
The flow isn't perfect, but I can't agree it is as bad as you describe it.

Some maintainers are more responsive, other not.
Some will complain, other not.
Like in real life.

But it doesn't mean the project as a whole is bad.

I can't see the bureaucracy you mention.
What do you mean by that?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski