[Slackbuilds-users] Renaming ltm to be libtommath

Kees Theunissen C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
Tue Jan 31 04:05:11 UTC 2017

Sorry Willy that I relied to you instead of the list.
Here is a new attempt.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

>>> When it comes to dependent packages, I see only one (convertlit).
>>> Anyways, if it's too much work, then of course no.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind resubmitting ltm as libtommath. Debian and Gentoo
>> both call theirs libtommath, not ltm, so there's precedent.
>>
>> convertlit will need updating, but convertlit is mine too, so no problem
>> there.
>>
>> Willy, if you think this is a terrible idea, let me know, otherwise I'll
>> do this Real Soon Now.
>
>please do so if you don't have any objection :)

It's cumbersome and error prone for users of the renamed package.
Although "upgradepkg" _does_ support the replacement op a package
with a differently named one this _won't_ and _can't_ be supported
by automated tools like sbopkg. The .info file simply has no fields
like "old_name" or "new_name".

All an automated tool can do is flagging that an installed package
doesn't exist in the repository anymore. I don't know if any tool
does so.

The actual replacement needs some manual intervention either by
removing the old named package and installing the new one manually
or running upgradepkg with the old and new names as an argument.

Users who miss the renaming of a package will also miss future
(securety) updates.

Regards,

Kees Theunissen.

--
Kees Theunissen,  System and network manager,   Tel: +31 (0)40-3334724
Dutch Institute For Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER)
e-mail address:   C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
postal address:   PO Box 6336, 5600 HH, Eindhoven, the Netherlands
visitors address: De Zaale 20, 5612 AJ, Eindhoven, the Netherlands