[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170715.1

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Sat Jul 15 02:33:33 UTC 2017

>> This is also a good reminder for all maintainers NOT TO USE cp -a
>> when trying to copy something from $CWD or else it will have a
>> strange owner instead of root. If you want to copy things from the
>> directory that the source created, cp -a is fine.
>

> Potential downside to *not* using "cp -a" is that timestamps on
> the files are not preserved. volkerdi clued me in to this one:
> just because e.g. the INSTALL file is present does mean it's
> been maintained; a timestamp of 2006 is a good indication that
> it will be a waste of time to even open it.
>
> If you use cp -a, just make sure you fixup the ownership and/or
> permissions afterward (it's a good idea to check these things
> regardless, but given that some of my builds were affected, I
> guess it's clear that I didn't do such a good job of it either).

Yes, cp -a is still OK for files from the tarball, since we need to
preserve the timestamp.

What i meant on my original email was files that are added by users
along with the SlackBuild script such as additional READMEs, custom RC
scripts, etc.

But what he suggested is the best solution: make sure to check the
ownership/permission for the build.

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo