[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170729.1

Alexander Verbovetsky alik at ejik.org
Sat Jul 29 18:17:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017, at 19:46, David Spencer wrote:
> > Is there a way to catch such failure? I always build reduce-algebra
> > on 8 cores without problems.
>
> I don't know a good way to make them crash, sometimes it is hardware
> dependent. I have a P4 (one core of course) with hyperthreading that
> is very good at crashing with -j3, but I don't use it much :)
>
> If you have a crash, one way of checking is to look at other distros
> to see if they have added '-j1'.  repology can help with this.  For
> example,
> https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=reduce-algebra-svn
> has -j1 already, so Matteo is not a freak :p

Thank you for testing and suggestions!

I run the build several time, measuring how much time it takes and
observing the cores activity via htop.  And I see absolutely no changes
from adding "-j1".  It takes exactly the same time and use all cores
except for some short periods when only one core is 100% busy, but these
periods happens during the same parts of build with "-j1" and also
without.

So, I think that somehow -j1 doesn't work!  Is this possible?

As for Arch, the above "reduce-algebra-svn" was stopped in 2013 and
superseded by
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=reduce-svn
which has no -j1 :-)

Best regards,