[Slackbuilds-users] Upgrading postgres [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 8 20:50:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Eugen Wissner wrote:

> No, you don't.

> You have to use pg_upgrade only if you make a major update (from 9.5 to
> 9.6 for example).

Eugene,

   That's what I understood when I read the pgupgrade page, but I've not
upgraded postgres at the third level before. Over the past couple of decades
I've stayed with older versions longer than I should, perhaps, but as a
single user I probably have no need for the latest enhancements.

> Just build the package, stop postgresql, do upgradepkg and start
> postgresql again.

   Well, that was certainly easy. Now I'm comfortable upgrading postgres to
keep current regardless of new version numbers.

Many thanks,

Rich