[Slackbuilds-users] Tracking version releases

David Melik davidnchmelik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 07:57:14 UTC 2017

On 05/11/2017 10:15 PM, Christoph Willing wrote:
> [...] I don't have a huge number of SlackBuilds to maintain but enough that
> its easy to lose track of upstream development and know when new
> versions have been released. Occasionally I do a find of .info files
> containing my name in the SBo file tree and go to each of the relevant
> websites looking for new releases. Sometimes a user sends me email about
> an update. Some repos can send email notifications, some have RSS feeds
> etc., but there doesn't seem to be a consistent mechanism for this sort
> of thing. There has to be a better way, so does anyone already have a
> better way to keep track before I write something to do it?
>
> Well, before waiting for a reply to that question, I already started
> writing a tool of my own to do that. It's not quite complete but close
> enough - my 6 SlackBuild updates this week were all due to prompting
> while developing/testing/documenting the thing.
>
> The new tool can currently deal with projects at github, sourceforge,
> pypi & libreoffice. It's been written to enable new  repo modules to be
> added fairly easily. My real question is whether anyone knows of other
> repositories that should be included (and preferably have some sort of
> API available for access), so that modules for them can be added?
>
> I guess you should still let me know if this has already been done
> before I spend too much more time on it.
>
> BTW its at:
>      https://github.com/cwilling/pvc [...]

I need that because many projects are notorious for not announcing new
versions; they could not care less that package maintainers spread
projects' software. Many projects are switching from newsgroups,
listervs, IRC, and (though not as good) classic web-forums, to social
networks and new web-chat rooms, or mixtures of those two, that few
people want to sign up for... or they use newsgroups and/or listservs or
version control sites posting lots of updates *except* actual version
numbers. It's a mess. Though the more SlackBuilds I made, the more I got
into habit to check, occasionally if I've been busy, it was maybe half a
year before I noticed several new version of some software that I like,
want to make available, if I don't actually often use it.

So, I installed pvc as root, and when I run it I get this error (similar
error as root:)

d at cosmos:~$ pvc
fs.js:952
return binding.readdir(pathModule._makeLong(path), options.encoding);
^

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, scandir '/home/d/.local/share/pvc'
at Error (native)
at Object.fs.readdirSync (fs.js:952:18)
at /usr/share/pvc/pvcWatcher.js:14:6
at Array.forEach (native)
at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/pvc/pvcWatcher.js:9:13)
at Module._compile (module.js:570:32)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:579:10)
at Module.load (module.js:487:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:438:3)
at Module.require (module.js:497:17)
at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/pvc/pvc:11:17)