[Slackbuilds-users] possible submission

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Fri Jun 23 11:47:14 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 01:18 (-0400), B Watson wrote:

> What I don't know (since I haven't paid attention to Java in 10+ years)
> is whether future versions of jdk/openjdk will always be compatible
> with code written for older versions (source code and/or compiled
> classes/jars). Will we get stuck having to still have openjdk version
> 7 in 10 years, because some piece of software written in Java can't be
> compiled or run with openjdk 8 and up?

While I make every effort to avoid Java, there is one program I use
written in Java which I haven't yet managed to expunge from my life.
And every time there is a new version of Java out, I have to spend a
couple of days trying to figure out how to do something in the new
version, because the old version has deprecated methods or some
methods now don't do quite what they used to, or I'm no longer allowed
to call that method in that context, or ...

My point is, I doubt I'm the only one who has this issue.  I suppose
the difference is that most people maintaining Java programs do Java
programming 24/7/365, and so they can amortize this "learn the new
correct one and only way to do it" time over lots more code than I
can.

Meanwhile, my 35-year old C programs happily compile and run with no
whining whatsoever.

Cheers.
                                Jim