[Slackbuilds-users] Proper installation directory for TCL files?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Sat Mar 4 12:36:03 UTC 2017

* On 2017 04 Mar 04:50 -0600, Andreas Guldstrand wrote:
> On 4 March 2017 at 03:45, Nate Bargmann <n0nb at n0nb.us> wrote:
> > Right now the TCL files are being placed in /usr/lib[64]/tcl by the
> > library's build system, yet I find tcl8, tcl8.6, and tclx8.4 under
> > /usr/lib[64].  Which of these directories should the generated files be
> > placed into?  Also, there is a generated pkgIndex.tcl file that would
> > appear to conflict with any of the above full installation directories.
>
> Hi, while I don't exactly know things about TCL, the pkgIndex.tcl file
> sounds similar to the perllocal.pod that is usually generated by perl
> installation tools - that file is simply removed in the template for
> perl slackbuilds, and I'd assume that would be the right thing to do
> for this file as well. But as I said, I don't really know much about
> TCL, so take my words with a couple grains of salt.

Hi Andreas.

My post was incomplete.  Here is the tree for the TCL files as installed
by the package's Makefile:

$ tree ./usr/lib64/tcl/
./usr/lib64/tcl/
`-- Library
    |-- librarytcl-99.99.so
    |-- librarytcl.la
    `-- pkgIndex.tcl

As can seen, the installed files will be in their own directory, so any
existing pkgIndex.tcl would not be overwritten.

My question now is even a bit more simple, and perhaps by looking things
over again, I've found an acceptable answer.

I see the sqlite package is installed under /usr/lib[64]/tcl8.6/sqlite3
which contains libtclsqlite3.so and pkgIndex.tcl.  It appears as though
pkgIndex.tcl is necessary to map the .so file for the tcl interpreter,
so I shall proceed by having the Slackbuild script rename 'tcl' to
'tcl8.6', remove librarytcl.la, and continue testing.

Thanks.

- Nate