[Slackbuilds-users] Question about git workflow

Harald Achitz harald.achitz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 17:42:54 UTC 2017

I am pretty sure that this, more cvs/svn orientated branching strategy is
not optimal.

There is no need for users to have branches, they should have forks.
There they can branch, and create for these branches pull requests.

Of course you can create also branches per user, but this only pollutes the
repo with unnecessary stuff.

You could take pull requests from every trust able person fore each
package, the maintainer models is total obsolete that only scales bad,
distributes work bad, and is a bottleneck by design.

Honestly, if, for example, Niki would make a pull request for some package
update because he needs it in MELD, I would pull it in if he is the
maintainer or not.
Maybe with a 'next release branch' for some time to give early adopter
chance to do additional testing, which his more a useful branching strategy
than per 'trusted user'.
And this is more the open source, or general how it works, model of today,
but of course just IMHO and I do not want to convince anybody of anything,
as usual this are just my 2 cents ;-)

Regards
Harald