[Slackbuilds-users] Xfce menu lacks menu category defined by xlog.desktop

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Thu Mar 9 01:33:30 UTC 2017

e 08/03/2017 à 23:25, Nate Bargmann a écrit :
> My build system for Slackbuilds is a full installation (except KDE) of
> Slackware64 14.2.  I am using Xfce and it doesn't have the menu
> categories available that the xlog.desktop file specifies.
>
> Here is the relevant line from xlog.desktop:
>
> Categories=Utility;Database;HamRadio;GTK
>
> Consequently, Xlog doesn't show up in any of the Xfce application
> menus.  At the very least a HamRadio menu would be desirable.
>
> Looking through the repository I did not find a package that adds extra
> menus for Xfce.  As information, Debian has a package, extra-xdg-menus:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/source/jessie/extra-xdg-menus
>
> that adds menu categories for Electronics and HamRadio.
>
> Other than adding an SBo script for this package from Debian, what other

Well, here xlog does appear in the Utility (Accessoires, in french)
category, in the Xfce menu as expected: this is one of the a main
categories listed by the specification:
https://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.1.html

As an aside the .desktop file needs some attention anyway
(see attachment)

So, I agree with Chris: it would be better to edit xlog.desktop.

Didier