[Slackbuilds-users] Tracking version releases

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Fri May 12 15:14:05 UTC 2017

I have my own script to keep track of projects I maintain sbuilds for
(or other stuff).
It consists of a config file containing name,version,updated
flag,browser,url for each project
and the main script has a big case statement, where I add one-liner
subscripts for each project's web page to detect the version number. eg.
'libpaper')
NEWVER=`cat $TMPDLFILE|grep "title=\"stable\""|head -n1|awk -F">"
'{print $2}'|awk -F"<" '{print $1}'`
;;
extracts the version from libpaper's project page (which has been
downloaded to $TMPDLFILE )

I extract the results generating an html report which shows on my
desktop to notify me when a project has been updated (or my detection no
longer seems to work).
having said that, repology.org is really useful as you can search by
"maintainter", and list all the projects which it thinks are out of date.
regards, Tim