[Slackbuilds-users] Library versions need to be upgraded

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Sep 2 22:38:58 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 15:19:19 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Sep 2017, Didier Spaier wrote:
>
> > But you still do not have clean Slackware 14.2, and we can't scan
> > your system to find all the stale files that can get in the way.
>
> Didier,
>
>    But I can scan it if I learn what tools to use. There are no
> libraries in /usr/local/lib/ that duplicate libraries in /usr/lib/
> and, as far as I've seen so far, nothing in /usr/local/bin/ that
> duplicates /usr/bin/.
>
>    If I copy the results of 'ls /usr/bin/' to a text file and the
> results of 'ls /usr/local/bin' to another file I can run them through
> 'diff -y'. There's also another command whose name I keep forgetting
> that allows comparison of two files and permits presenting lines only
> in file 1, or only in file 2, or present in both. I wish I could
> remember its name because it's a very handy tool.

That's diff(1).

>    If there are other approaches to check for conflicts please
> educate me so I can remove them all.

Given the history here, I think the best option is for you to
do similar to what (probably) many others here do:

Create a virtual machine of each Slackware version you run.
Create a snapshot of it using the virtualization platform.
Build packages on that virtual machine, put them somewhere
else, install them on the other hosts from that location.
Revert the virtual machine state to that prior snapshot.

As /patches are issued, update the virtual machine, take a
new snapshot, repeat process as needed.

-RW