[Slackbuilds-users] webkit2gtk build problems

Habs gen-bch at useyouresp.org.uk
Mon Sep 18 16:20:21 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:02:48 -0400
Jason Graham <jgraha8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I was convinced by Matteo and David that webkit2gtk build fine on
> > > stable and current for both arch, BUT it requires a LOT of
> > > resources, so i cancelled my revert and update README instead to
> > > make additional SWAP space if you have small amount of memory
> > > installed.
> >
> >         After the package is created, the temporary build directory
> > takes 1.1Gb.
> > It's not that big, but it is also true that the build takes up a
> > lot of resources during compilation.
> >         My computer only has 8Gb of RAM. Maybe using multiple jobs
> > may be a problem, I use -j2, and my computer is on its knees (or
> > chips, or circuits, don't know... ^^) when building, but it builds
> > fine.
> >

> I had a similar experience. I first tried with -j8 on a VM and the
> compilation finished (or at least the cmake progress showed 100%) but
> it didn't proceed from there. There were 4Gb of ram allocated to this
> VM so I suppose it was resource constrained based on other folks'
> findings. It stalled for quite some time (~30min) before I killed the
> job.
>
> So I tried again with -j1 and it failed in the same location has Habs.
>
> Best,
> Jason

Ive started the build off again after clearing it out.
As I said, I'm simple minded ;-)  so please forgive me, but it puzzles
me that the error message is related to space - is that disk resource
and,or ram resources  ...and more over, why would the previous version
build fine on the exact same machine _without issue_ but not this
updated version...what is it doing different I wonder (all said
rhetorically speaking).

I will see what happens in the early hours  :-)

Thanks again everyone
Habs