[Slackbuilds-users] Serious regression on Github archive URLs

Benjamin Trigona-Harany slackbuilds at jaxartes.net
Sat Aug 18 17:42:45 UTC 2018

Hopefully my last email on this topic. Here's my recommended solution that
should be fully safe even if it does still requires a GitHub account:

1. Get your token as in my previous email
2. Add a .netrc for root with the following line:
machine github.com login TOKEN password slack
3. Make sure wget is being called with the --auth-no-challenge flag. For
exampl,e I have the following in my sbopkg.conf:
WGETFLAGS="${WGETFLAGS:--c --progress=bar:force --timeout=30 --tries=5} --
auth-no-challenge"

As far as I can tell you need *something* for a password in .netrc - blank
won't do - hence the "slack". In any case, .netrc will restrict the use of
your GitHub token to only the GitHub domain.

Unfortunately, wget needed the extra --auth-no-challenge flag, unlike cURL,
but adding this as a default is less disruptive than updating 1000-odd
SlackBuilds to accommodate the change in how GitHub is handling these URLs.

Ben