[Slackbuilds-users] Serious regression on Github archive URLs

Eric Pratt eric.b.pratt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 19:26:31 UTC 2018

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:56 AM Doogster <thedoogster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, the changed URL clearly seen in the user-facing "Releases" page.
> I can confirm that this works:
>
> wget --content-disposition
> https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/archive/0.16.0.tar.gz
>
> That downloads the following file:
>
> OWSLib-0.16.0.tar.gz
>
> Honestly, all 1000 SlackBuilds can probably be fixed with one sed command.

FYI, my previous wget example wont download with the proper name, but
using wget with --content-disposition does.  Curl has a similar
option.  So to improve my previous example, either of these would get
you the proper filename:

  wget -q --content-disposition
https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/archive/0.16.0.tar.gz

  curl -JLOs https://github.com/geopython/OWSLib/archive/0.16.0.tar.gz

And I agree that it would be easier just to make a quick change to the
github DOWNLOAD links in the repo.