[Slackbuilds-users] Metacharacters in package names

Ruben Schuller sb at rbn.im
Wed Aug 22 20:42:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 22:13:26 +0200
Chris Abela <kristofru at gmail.com> wrote:

> The script wrongly lists tolua++ as an "apex package" as egrep (at
> line 52) interprets the "+" metacharacter. May I suggest to avoid
> metacharacters in package names. In this case toluapp would have been
> a better choice, as per homepage: https://github.com/LuaDist/toluapp.

I'd say that, even if special characters are avoided in package names,
you should sanitize/filter the inputs accordingly to where they are
used. IMHO package renaming should only be done in really pressing
cases, as there are other things which don't work without friction then
(upgrading the package for example). Furthermore, each artificial
restriction will be a requirement soon, as other things will depend on
it.

This could be a good solution for the problem in your script:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/16951928

Kind Regards
Ruben