[Slackbuilds-users] Metacharacters in package names

Chris Abela kristofru at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 06:33:36 UTC 2018

> On 8/22/18, Ruben Schuller <sb at rbn.im> wrote:
>> This could be a good solution for the problem in your script:
>> https://stackoverflow.com/a/16951928
> My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!
>
> Using grep instead of egrep would also be a solution to this issue.
I confess that I had to look up that meme. I understand that you wanted
to express your dislike on the previous solutions kindly offered by the
would be to distract the author of this application and plug out the '+'
key from his/her keyboard. Or else I can rely on the undocumented and
exclusive pkgtool feature to rename installed packages on the fly using
the mv command: mv /var/log/packages/tolua++ /var/log/packages/toluapp
(and prove once again that Slackware is unbreakable).

There are many solutions but my intention was not to request assistance
on my script. The script is just a cosmetic addition to sbopkg anyway.
My intention was to solicit your reconsideration on the inclusion of
metacharacters in package names. They are a nuisance, ugly and they
break things. Which characters are acceptable? Would you also accept
white spaces and semi-colons?

Chris Abela