[Slackbuilds-users] Metacharacters in package names

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Thu Aug 23 11:53:09 UTC 2018

On 08/23/2018 12:34 PM, B Watson wrote:
> So, plus, hyphen, and underscore are the only non-alphanumeric characters
> Pat uses. And they're 7-bit ASCII only. Those should be our rules,
> too. I'd even go so far as to say we should stick to that even if Pat
> changes his rules (because Pat doesn't have to care about his package
> names breaking sbopkg, sbotools, etc, and we do, or at least should)
In my opinion tools like sbotool sbopkg and such should be adapted to
handle filenames including other characters than alpha-numeric, plus,
hyphen, and underscore if they appear in Slackware package names.

I don't expect that all 137,374 characters listed in Unicode 11.O will
be used though, anyway less than half of them have an associated
glyph even among the GNU Unifont and Noto fonts ;)

But of course we'd better avoid to use those that can need to be quoted
listed in
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_02

Namely:

and also: