[Slackbuilds-users] Python, pip and SlackBuilds.... Fw: [leo-editor/leo-editor] "python setup.py install" does not complete (#810)

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 27 01:13:03 UTC 2018

Ui Rob,

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 05:00:37PM +0100, sborg63 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are python programs that no longer depend on setup.py scripts
> using install but exclusively on those that use pip (for example LEO, as
> described below). How are we dealing with this? Is there a way of
> adapting the Slackbuilds for such programs or do we accept that pip
> becomes another way of dealing with python (It already is part of the
> python distribution in current)? Or do we ask upstream to keep providing
> a setup.py that can use install?
>
> Background:
> As a response to my request for a setup.py install script for the
> LEO editor (https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/810), the
> answer is to use pip: The recent version has changed to a complete
> pip-install and bypasses the possibility of using the setup.py install
> method. The latter is -as far as I have been using python
> modules/packages in Slackware- the method of choice to build a package
> via a SlackBuild which produces a  tgz-package that can then be
> installed/updated using the common slackware tools.
>
> The idea behind the pip-only install is that determining
> updates/dependencies is much easier (with the presumed improvements
> linked below). At the moment on SBo these dependencies have been sorted
> out (and SlackBuilds made available) which allows a slacker to use one
> install-method (the distribution-specific tools) instead of a mixture
> of tools (distribitution plus tool-specific methods (like pip for
> python)).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> Begin forwarded message:
[...]
Yes leo only has a whheel, not a tar.gz. This is unusual and unfortunate,
because pip2tgz needs a source archive of some kind.

I tried pip2tgz on a couple od snapshots, but it always fails with:

    running install_egg_info
    Copying leo.egg-info to /tmp/SBo/package-leo-editor/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/leo-5.7.3-py2.7.egg-info
    running install_scripts
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/tmp/pip-req-build-FnJDwJ/setup.py", line 164, in <module>
        'gui_scripts': ['leo = leo.core.runLeo:run']
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/core.py", line 151, in setup
        dist.run_commands()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 953, in run_commands
        self.run_command(cmd)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command
        cmd_obj.run()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/install.py", line 61, in run
        return orig.install.run(self)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/command/install.py", line 575, in run
        self.run_command(cmd_name)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 326, in run_command
        self.distribution.run_command(command)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/dist.py", line 972, in run_command
        cmd_obj.run()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/command/install_scripts.py", line 35, in run
        bw_cmd = self.get_finalized_command("bdist_wininst")
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 312, in get_finalized_command
        cmd_obj.ensure_finalized()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/cmd.py", line 109, in ensure_finalized
        self.finalize_options()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/distutils/command/bdist_wininst.py", line 112, in finalize_options
        for script in self.distribution.scripts:
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

I can't fix this. Anyone??

Cheers ... Duncan.